Skip to main content

Varicose Veins During Pregnancy – What You Should Know

Medically speaking; arteries carry oxygenated blood away from your heart towards extremities of your body.

On the other hand; the capillaries are the small vessels, which enable the exchange of nutrients and oxygen with the rest of your body.

The veins are the vessels that help in carrying the blood back to the heart.

What causes the varicose veins?

There are in fact 3 different kinds of veins in the legs. The first are the superficial ones that lie closest to the top of the skin. Then there are the deep set veins, which lie within the muscle group. Finally there are perforating veins that typically connects the superficial veins to the deep veins.

Once our leg muscle pump the blood out of our deep vein, the superficial veins collect more blood from our skin and from the superficial tissues and move it into our deep veins.

Then our leg muscles continue to pump this blood up to the heart. Although this system works pretty well in most of the cases however there are many things that may go wrong.

Some of the situations that may cause the vein pumps to work less efficiently occur. The deep veins can withstand very short periods of increased pressure. This also means, more than 90% of the blood back up the legs toward the heart and the remaining 10% is carried by the superficial veins. When blood begins to pool in the veins instead of moving upward it leads to numerous problems. Some people develop visible signs of vein disease such as varicose veins, spider veins and often sores called ulcers on the legs.

What causes them during your pregnancy?

During your pregnancy body produces extra volume of blood. Although the extra volume is essential in supporting two growing bodies however; it also puts some amount of extra pressure on your leg’s blood vessels . Moreover your heavy uterus puts pressure on your pelvic blood vessels. Yes; thus you have the perfect recipe for varicose veins during pregnancy.

What you need to know

It’s natural that you won’t like the way the varicose veins may look. They may even ache and itch.

The good news is; if you did not have varicose veins before your pregnancy; your varicose veins will disappear within a few months after your delivery.

The not so good news – if you have another baby, there’s no way of preventing the varicose veins around that time.

Get your fact aligned –like many other pregnancy symptoms such as stretch marks etc – the varicose veins tend to be hereditary. This means; if your mother had varicose veins during pregnancy, you’re more likely to have them, too.

Varicose veins treatment during pregnancy

Preventing the varicose veins is not a perfect science; however these tips can help you –

Preventing varicose veins isn’t a perfect science, but these tips can definitely help:

Usually varicose veins will go away after the baby has arrived, however if the veins don’t go away you can consider surgical treatment for varicose veins after your delivery

Fret not; our varicose vein treatment in Huntington Beach is absolutely a non-invasive procedure and it is absolutely unusual for the leg to be painful.

Author
Dr. Chane

You Might Also Enjoy...

The Dangers of Hypertension

The Dangers of Hypertension

There’s no doubt about it: High blood pressure is deadly when left untreated. Fortunately, you don’t have to die of hypertension-related diseases. You can take steps to prevent and effectively manage it when you know the dangers. 
Is Chest Pain Always Related to the Heart?

Is Chest Pain Always Related to the Heart?

Chest pain of any kind requires a thorough evaluation. Issues that range from the digestive system to the lungs, not just your heart, can cause chest discomfort or pain, but it’s always best to have a health professional check things out.
4 Subtle Signs of Poor Circulation

4 Subtle Signs of Poor Circulation

Symptoms of compromised circulation warrant a visit to a vascular specialist. Have you noticed signs of poor circulation? Early diagnosis of vascular issues can lead to better management and improvement in symptoms. 
What to Do About a Leg Ulcer

What to Do About a Leg Ulcer

Leg ulcers can be a silent alarm bell ringing, signaling underlying health issues. Don't delay taking action when you notice the signs; they require immediate attention and timely care. Here’s what to do.
Do Varicose Veins Go Away on Their Own?

Do Varicose Veins Go Away on Their Own?

When it comes to varicose veins, the struggle is more than skin deep. These twisted, enlarged veins not only present a cosmetic concern, but they can also indicate more serious underlying health issues. What makes them go away?
Can I Get Hypertension in My 20s?

Can I Get Hypertension in My 20s?

High blood pressure isn't exclusive to older adults. As hypertension becomes increasingly prevalent among young adults, dispelling myths and taking proactive steps becomes paramount.